WINE PAIRING: BERINGER FOUNDERS’ ESTATE SYRAH
- 1 cup Beringer Founders’ Estate Syrah
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup dried sweetened cranberries
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 1/2 pounds flank steak, about 3/4-inch thick
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 18 cup-shaped leaves of Boston lettuce
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup crumbled gorgonzola cheese
Heat covered gas grill to high. In a medium skillet, bring wine, broth, cranberries and molasses to a boil. Boil sauce, stirring occasionally, for 20 to 22 minutes or until reduced and slightly syrupy; set aside.
Meanwhile, season steak on both sides with a generous amount of salt and pepper. Place steak on hot, lightly greased grill rack. Grill steak 2 to 3 minutes or until well browned. Turn, and grill other side for 2 to 3 minutes or until well browned. Reduce gas grill temperature to medium. Grill steak 7 to 9 minutes or until medium-rare (125 degrees on an instant read thermometer). Transfer steak to a cutting surface; let rest for 5 to10 minutes. Thinly slice steak across the grain.
Arrange lettuce cups on a large platter. Fill lettuce cups with steak. Top steak with cranberry-wine sauce, a sprinkle of green onions and cheese. Serves 6. Serve with Beringer Founders’ Estate Syrah.