WINE PAIRING: BERINGER FOUNDERS’ ESTATE CABERNET SAUVIGNON
- 6 (6 ounce) beef tenderloin steaks (prime or choice)
- freshly ground black pepper
- 6 thick slices apple wood smoked bacon
- 6 metal kebab skewers
- peanut oil, for grill preparation
- 3/4 cup bourbon
- 1/2 tablespoon reduced-sodium Tamari sauce
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 reduced-sodium beef broth
Season steaks lightly on all sides with pepper; wrap 1 slice of bacon around each. Insert a metal skewer into the middle of each steak to secure bacon so that the end of the skewer comes out of the other side. Preheat grill to high and brush with oil. Combine bourbon, Tamari sauce, vinegar, brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce in a medium, grill-proof saucepan. Dip each filet in the mixture, coating completely; place on prepared grill. Grill each 5 minutes; turn and reduce heat to medium-high. Grill about 5 minutes longer; or until bacon is crispy and steaks are to desired degree of doneness.
Meanwhile, place saucepan containing sauce mixture on the grill. Add broth, stir to combine. Bring to a boil and cook; stirring occasionally, until sauce is reduced to a generous 1/2 cup. To serve, carefully remove skewers; spoon sauce over steaks. Yield: 6 servings.