Cooking has been a passion of mine for as far back as I can remember. I was born in South Florida and spent 8 years of my childhood as a missionary kid in Bolivia, South America which is where I began to appreciate the art of cooking and making things from scratch. I graduated from John Brown University in Siloam Springs, Arkansas, where I also met and married my husband. We currently live there and are raising our 3 sweet kids.
My recipe is inspired by my brother who loves to cook dinner for us and my love for bold and delicious food yet simple and clean ingredients. It is truly a complete meal – it’s served in tortillas so it can be picked up and eaten with your hands versus the typical knife and fork. The Riesling is an outstanding wine pairing as its refreshing temperature and light sweetness balance out the spicy chimichurri sauce. My husband, Matt, is joining me at the Great Steak Challenge – he is my most honest and trusted taste tester.
Flank Steak Carnitas with Chimichurri
Wine Pairing Selection: Beringer Founders’ Estate Riesling
- 2 pounds Flank Steak, about 3/4 inch thick
- 1 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, split use
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- Vegetable oil, for rubbing on grill rack
- 1 1/2 cups fresh cilantro, leaves only
- 1 whole clove fresh garlic
- 2 Tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Serrano pepper, whole with stem removed
- 24 corn tortillas, preferably bought fresh made a local market
- 3/4 cup queso fresco, crumbled
Heat grill to medium-high. Season steak evenly with 1 teaspoon salt and pepper. Grease grill rack with vegetable oil. Grill steak medium rare, about 6 minutes per side. Let steak rest 10 minutes covered with foil, then thinly slice across the grain. In a food processor, add cilantro, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, Serrano, 1/4 tsp salt. Blend smooth. Wrap tortillas in foil, warm on grill a couple minutes. To assemble each: stack 2 tortillas on top of each other, top with steak, 2 tsp chimichurri, and 1 TBS queso fresco. serves 6